Legal advice for couples buying a property together

Whether you are in a relationship but unmarried or just friends thinking of buying a house together, we believe that it is very important to get the necessary legal protection in place prior to investing in the property. You can do this via a cohabitation agreement. Getting organised today can guarantee peace of mind for the future allowing you sit back, relax and enjoy the fun of moving in together.

Making a cohabitation agreement is simple and straightforward. It is best to have one just in case. 


Life is unpredictable and although right now everything seems perfect, over time issues could arise that are beyond your control. People and circumstances can change, relationships can breakdown, people can grow apart, get new jobs, or simply want new experiences. We do not know what lies ahead for you and your partner. At Scullion LAW we are positive thinking people but from experience, we know that it is wise to protect your investment by planning ahead with a cohabitation agreement just in case.

Much like an insurance policy, once you have it organised, you do not need to think about it again until you have to. Knowing it is there – protecting you like an invisible shield – feels comforting like a big hug.

Almost like a pre nup, a cohabitation agreement clearly sets out what should happen to your investments in the future if the relationship or friendship ends, or if circumstances change and one party wants to sell their share to buy something else. It also protects your investment if one person brings more money in terms of a deposit towards the property and does not want the sale split 50:50 in the future.

Do the sensible thing, think ahead and protect yourself today by calling  0141 374 2121 or you can email our family law team in confidence info@scullionlaw for more information.


We encourage you to put the necessary agreements in place now. Seeking expert legal advice today could save you loads of time, stress, expense and hassle in the future. The laws for cohabiting couples are different to the laws that are in place in Scotland for married couples, that is why it helps to have expert legal advice and guidance on your side.

Next steps? 

We also encourage you to make or update your Will. If you should die without one (intestate) and you are cohabiting (but unmarried) your partner is not legally entitled to your assets therefore everything will be subject to the rules of the government which can cause extra stress, hassle and expenses for loved ones. So, if you want your share of the property to go to your partner then you must clearly state this in your Will.

If you own the property jointly you can also include a survivorship clause within the deed. This ensures your share of the property will pass to your partner should you die. Speak to our team for more details.

We are here for you when you need us

We have offices in Hamilton, West End of Glasgow and Saltmarket.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Scullion LAW.

Buying|Conveyancing|First Time Buyer|New Home|Property Law


Contact us


130 Saltmarket
G1 5LB
0141 374 2121

105 Cadzow St
01698 283 265

730 Dumbarton Road
G11 6RD
0141 374 2121