Child maintenance is money to help pay for your child’s everyday living costs when you’ve separated from the other parent.


The child maintenance payments are between:

  • the ‘paying’ parent, who pays child maintenance – this is the parent who doesn’t have day-to-day care of the child
  • the ‘receiving’ parent who gets the child maintenance payments – the parent who has day-to-day care of the child

Estimate your child maintenance

Before you start

You need information about the income of the parent who’ll be paying. Use the child maintenance calculator on GOV.UK to get an idea of the amount, whether you’re arranging it yourselves or using the Child Maintenance Service. You can also find out how child maintenance is worked out.

  • You can use this calculator to estimate your child maintenance. It can help you to:
  •  agree an amount with the other parent if you’re arranging it yourselves
  • get an idea of the amount the government would work out for you

The calculator gives an estimate. The exact amount the Child Maintenance Service calculates may be different.

GOV.UK provide a comprehensive guide on ‘help after a break up’ which details the various steps you can take to protect your interests following the breakdown of a relationship.

Call our Child Law Solicitors Glasgow, Hamilton Today

We at Scullion LAW are here for you when you need us. We are a legal 500 recommended firm and we offer award winning service. Our highly skilled and experienced Family LawyerJudith Higson she is available to meet in either out Glasgow or Hamilton office at a time that suits you, call us on 0141 374 2121 to make an appointment. Initial consultations are £350 plus VAT = £420.

Contact us


130 Saltmarket
G1 5LB
0141 374 2121

105 Cadzow St
01698 283 265

730 Dumbarton Road
G11 6RD
0141 374 2121